3.5 million people in the UK affected by infertility
The NHS has widely publicised statistics that show 1 in 7 couples suffer from some degree of infertility in their lives. As such a widespread issue, this is not publicised adequately, with many people resorting to private internet research for self-diagnosis at a late stage.
For those who need to explore other avenues in the pursuit of a family, there is help at hand beyond the medical side of things. Namely, fertility lawyers. The law surrounding surrogacy, conception with donor sperm or eggs, co-parenting, adoption and fertility treatment can be complex and it is important to ensure you understand your legal position and options before embarking on an alternative route to parenthood.
UK Top 200 law firm Porter Dodson has recently announced the appointment of the UK’s first fertility-qualified solicitor. Nicola Scott is a specialist lawyer with over five years’ experience advising clients and fighting cases covering a wide range of fertility and parenting issues, including:
- Surrogacy – arrangements within the UK and overseas, applying for a parental order, help with immigration and nationality following an international birth, specialist Wills.
- Donor conception and Co-parenting – setting up arrangements including the preparation of donor and co-parenting agreements, acquisition of parental status, specialist Wills.
- Adoption – arrangements within the UK and overseas, applying for an adoption order, help with immigration and nationality following an international match, specialist Wills.
- Fertility treatment – issues in relation to the usage, consent, storage or movement of embryos and gametes, refusal of treatment by clinics and PCTs, specialist Wills.
- Parenting and disputes – securing parental status, formalising arrangements, applying to court, specialist Wills.
Nicola says: “I’m delighted to be joining Porter Dodson at this stage of my career. I’ve been impressed by the firm’s commitment to its clients and its people and I am excited to head up the fertility and parenting practice and assist clients on a subject I am truly passionate about.”
For information about any of the above, please contact Nicola on 01305 756323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to index