Do you need a Change of Name Deed following divorce?

    Do you need a Change of Name Deed following divorce?

    You may think that once you are divorced, your surname will revert to your maiden name or whatever surname you used before your marriage.

    This is not the case.

    Your surname will continue to be your married name unless you obtain a Change of Name Deed to legally change it.

    Change of Name Deed

    A Change of Name Deed is a legal document. It is recognised by the authorities, so if you need to obtain a new passport, driving licence or such like, the Deed can be used as evidence of Change of Name.

    Of course, once you are over 16 you can change your name at any time as you so wish. You can change any part of your name, add or remove names and hyphens, or change the spelling.

    Even if you are under 16 you may do so, as long as you have your parent’s consent or by order of the Court.

    If you would like to discuss your options and whether legally changing your name is a step you would like to consider, contact Family legal advisor Lisa Payne.

    For legal advice on relationships

    Get in touch

    Related posts