We are trusted legal advisers to a number of large and well known independent schools in the South West and we have a wealth of experience in education law and best practice. We understand that independent schools often face complex legal issues, which can also have far reaching consequences for a school’s reputation.
As a local firm, we have strong ties in the community. We always take the time to meet with our clients face to face, to fully understand their requirements so that we can effectively deal with any concerns or queries.
Our Education team has extensive knowledge of working with independent schools in the South West. Examples of work undertaken by our specialists in this field include:
- Dealing with ongoing property work, such as leases, acquisition and disposal in compliance with Charity Commission requirements, where appropriate.
- Acting for governors of a school with reference to secured lending on the school site, purchasing boarding houses and dealing with overages.
- Assisting a number of independent schools and colleges in the recovery of unpaid school fees.
- Providing employment and HR advice and successfully representing schools at Employment Tribunal level or negotiating settlements where appropriate.
- Advising schools on child protection issues involving criminal charges and internal investigations under a school’s disciplinary procedure.
- Challenging Ofsted reports which are based on poor or factually incorrect inspections.
- Advising schools on parental disputes, special educational needs and equal opportunities.
- Dealing with complex commercial arrangements, including contracting out of catering or IT equipment leasing arrangements.
- Protecting a school’s reputation and dealing with defamatory or untruthful content on social media, including breaches of an employee’s obligation of confidentiality.
Several members of our team are governors, or have been on the board of governors for schools locally. Porter Dodson demonstrates its commitment to education and training through its involvement in careers fairs and participation in workshops and training days in schools and colleges.